A client in East Moline, IL, called us at Titan Garage Doors Quad Cities for garage door repair. One of their vertical garage door tracks was slightly bowed and could not accommodate the weight of their insulated garage door. With everyday use, the vertical track eventually bent. When we further inspected the door, we noted another issue. There was more weight on one track than the other, making the door crooked. After less than an hour's work, we straightened out the bent sections of the garage door track, and the bolts tightened into place. We also corrected the balance of the side-mounted springs for proper tension. The client was considering track replacement, but that would be for another time. In the meantime, they were very happy with our service and thanked us for the prompt garage door repair.
A garage door track problem can prevent a door from closing. That is a dangerous thing that can happen to your garage door. Moreover, it will leave your garage more susceptible to break-ins. The good thing is that there are a few simple fixes that you can try to get the track working again.
A bent track can lead to more potential issues, but do not worry. You can get through it with some know-how and the right tools. Here is a quick and simple guide for fixing a bent track:
• Do not use your garage door until you have fixed the problem. Forcing the mechanism could mean that you would need to replace the whole door rather than just a few parts.
• Loosen the bolts that hold the track in place. These bolts keep the track from moving. So you will need to loosen them before performing any repairs or replacements.
• Be careful not to remove the bolts entirely. It can be tricky to put them back in place. Loosen the bolts and tap them into a vertical position.
• Assemble the tracks, so the straight sides are flush against the wall, with the curved sides facing out. Straighten the tracks using a set of pliers. Do this slowly and carefully so as not to break them.
• Ensure the bolt heads are recessed into the tracks, where only the threads are visible. Once checked, tighten the bolts back in place.
• It is time to fix the track and put the door back into place. The track can be bent back into shape with a claw hammer. However, should this not work, then it will be necessary for you to replace them entirely.
These steps should be able to straighten the track. Otherwise, you may need to replace the entire system. Fixing a garage door mechanism yourself can be more daunting and costly, especially if you do not have the right tools and skills. Like we always say, contacting a garage door expert to mend it for you is a better way out.
Reminder: In areas with strong winds, you can reinforce the door with additional support to prevent damage. Your garage door will become stronger with the added support, enabling it to withstand the force of the wind.
Are your garage door tracks bent? You can follow the cited steps to see if you can fix them, or turn to our garage door repair experts instead! Titan Garage Doors Quad Cities serves East Moline, IL, and the nearby cities and is committed to providing exceptional services. When you call us, we guarantee to give you our full attention so you will never get lost or have to deal with a broken garage door longer. Whether you need a roller replacement, a garage door track repair, or a new opener, you can trust the Titan Garage Doors Quad Cities experts to do the job. Our team is on call 24/7 and can handle any job, big or small. Contact us today for more information and ask for free estimates.
Titan Garage Doors Quad Cities helped this Bettendorf, IA client with...
See how well our latest garage door repair project in Davenport,...
Check our most recent garage door repair job in Davenport, IA....